Here are the top 25 things to do and see in Sofia:
1. St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral is Sofia’s main tourist attraction and a great start if you’re wondering what to do in Sofia first.
2. The Saint Sofia Church is the second oldest church in the city.
3. The Royal Palace (the National Art Gallery and the Ethnographic Museum) was among the first symbols of Sofia.
4. The “Ivan Vazov” National Theatre is Bulgaria’s biggest and most imposing theatre in the country.
5. Vitosha Boulevard is one of the main shopping streets in the city center.
6. The National Palace of Culture abbreviated in Bulgarian as NDK is the largest multifunctional congress, conference, convention, and exhibition center in Southeastern Europe.
7. The Saint Sophia Statue, erected in 2000 is another symbol of Sofia.
8. The Central Mineral Baths is a landmark in the center of Sofia, a city known for the mineral springs in the area.
9. The hot mineral springs in the very center of the city, next to the building of the Central Mineral Baths.
10. The mosque Banya Bashi is situated in the center of Sofia close to the mineral baths.
11. The Sofia Synagogue is the largest in South Eastern Europe.
12. St. Nedelya Cathedral – Being one of the largest Orthodox churches in Sofia and on prominent display from along the entire length of the pedestrian Vitosha Boulevard.
13. Ancient Serdica Complex in Sofia situated just above the Serdika metro station, displays the remains of the Roman city, Serdica, that once occupied this area.
14. The Church of St Petka of the Saddlers is a medieval Bulgarian Orthodox church in Sofia. 15. St. George Rotunda Church is an Early Christian red brick rotunda that is considered the oldest building in Sofia.
16. The Changing of the Guard is a must-see attraction in many countries and Bulgaria is no exception.
17. The National Museum of Archaeology in Sofia is the oldest museum in Bulgaria.
18. The church of St Nicholas the Miracle-Maker also known as the Russian church in Sofia.19. The Monument to the Tsar Liberator.
20. The National Assembly of Bulgaria was established in 1879 and has been proclaimed a monument of culture for its historic significance.
21. Borisova gradina is the oldest and best known park in Sofia.
22. Vitosha Mountain: Vitosha is a large mountain overlooking Sofia and the oldest nature park on the Balkan Peninsula.
23. The Boyana Church is a medieval Bulgarian Orthodox church, one of Unesco’s World Heritage Sites.
24. Central Department Store (TZUM)
25. The Independence Square ( Plostad Nezavisimost )